CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Brothers and Their Dumb Luck

I know today is Mother's Day, and most people are going to write a sentimental bit, but not me. Sure I was all warm and fuzzy when I got a Happy Mother's Day text from my brother at 9:00 a.m. Little did I know that he was going to follow that up with a phone call about avoiding DUI's. So the story goes like this more or less. My brother and his buddy are walking from the bar to his truck when two police officers yell for them to stop. They are right in front of his buddy's truck but thankfully haven't gone toward it yet. They reach the two sots and begin questioning them and running their information. Oh yeah it's 4:00 a.m. on main street in the middle of small town America. They ask them what they are doing. They tell them they are walking to my cousins house, (which is the other direction). Being the talker that my brother is, he pulls something so far fetched out of his ass that it just had to work. He begins to make conversation. "Man we can't afford to get in trouble right now, we just signed up for the CHP program" What the? Anyway. Barney Fife proceeds to do the usual thumbs in belt loop, lean back pose, you know the one. He tells them that what they ought to do is try and be city cops as they see more "action". The California Highway Patrol doesn't do much right? So anyway after 10 minutes of the local finest touting the thrill of being a city cop a woman approaches. Again, it is 4:00 a.m. They realize that this is obviously a tweaker and they are about to get out of this one. She comes up and the officers hand the boys their licenses and send them on their way. These two decide the best thing to do is walk around for an hour and then wake up Chris's dad 20 miles away to come pick their drunken asses up.
Today rolls around and he calls my cousin to tell her what happened. Did I forget to mention, her father is also a city cop there? Turns out it was a good thing he didn't mention this fact, the two cops apparently have a slight distaste for him. The feeling seems to be mutual.
So that was the first thing I heard on Mother's Day morning, how my little brother managed yet again to squeak himself out of a situation by the skin of his teeth.

0 comments: