CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Allison

Allison is the type of person who writes a blog about the people she loves on their birthdays. She's also the type of person who doesn't expect to read about herself today.
Allison, just about every other person who knows her, calls her Allie. But when she was in the fifth grade I heard her finally lose it on someone who couldn't spell her name. "It's ALL-IS-ON, it's not that hard." I remember it often and giggle to myself. I've used her full name ever since. Besides no one else calls her that. It's special. It's twenty years of still being able to smell that day, special.
Allison is the kind of person who calls to check on you when you are down and out. Regardless of what life may be handing her at the time. She's the kind of person who is able to shrug off the small stuff. She has a heart of platinum. Among the things that are different about us, is her ability to forgive. I readily admit that this is a quality I struggle with. For her, all it really takes is an apology that is heartfelt, with sincerity and honesty behind it. She doesn't hang on to things for no reason.
She works hard at a job she is overqualified for. But she is not bitter, rather she is happy to have that job and be able to provide for her daughter. She exudes a confidence that I cannot touch, let alone own. She is happy, she counts her blessings daily... sometimes she has to help me see mine. There are many things about her, that I wish I could count as traits of my own.
This summer we will have known each other for 20 years. She was a friendly face in my new town all those years ago. It was the summer time before I started 4th grade at my new school, she was in the 5th. I bet she doesn't know that for the first four days of school, the only time I spoke was when I saw her afterwards. The kids in my class thought I couldn't speak English.
There are few people I've known as long, and still speak to. There is only one person, who's not my blood, that I still make an effort to communicate with, and that's her. If she befriends you, consider yourself among the lucky ones. But she's my best friend, go and find your own!
So here's to you Allison, on your 30th. I heart you! Happy Birthday!

1 comments:

A said...

Thanks I totally enjoyed reading this and knowing someone doesn't think I suck.