CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I WANT MY DADDY

I know, I know, I sound like a spoiled rotten brat. Oh well. *grins* My parents and I try to see each other at least every couple of months. And the last time I seen them was the middle of August, so it's time. At first I didn't think they were going to be here until November. Ah, but in true dad fashion, my mom said last night that they would probably be making a trip in the next couple of weeks. Just a little nod to them, they live six hundred miles away and still see their grandchild more than some closer living relatives. At any rate I am so excited. They have yet to get to spend a Thanksgiving with us, and there are some things that I really wish they could be around for, like when I was a kid. This decision to come early is great for two reasons. Number one I can go with MY mom to get Phoenix a Halloween costume. Without worrying about taking too long, or being a burden with every breath we take. We can go to the pumpkin patch. And even better I can have a Thanksgiving dinner with them. I thought about it, and you know what, the third Thursday in November means exactly that to me. It's the third Thursday in November. I don't really have a desire to celebrate the ruin of an entire indigenous people. Thanksgiving is just that, thanks giving. And for me personally, it's about thanking God for the things he has blessed me with. Another year with my dad, the son they said I'd never have, the kidney I haven't had to receive yet. I thank him daily for giving us another day. And the prospect of getting to have a big dinner in celebration of that, with my parents, almost makes me giddy. It actually changed my morning routine today. For the first time in ages my OCD ebbed. Instead of doing the magic overnight dishes, I fished out the dusty, all but forgotten recipe box and picked out pie options. I've narrowed it down to like 25, *smiles*. And that's okay because that's what I remember when I was young. A whole table just for the different pies. Of course I won't make 25 pies, but ten is definitely an option! Oh and the turkey, and stuffing, and deviled eggs, and Swedish meatballs, and chili beans, and cornbread, and mashed potatoes, and corn, and taco salad made with extra loves, and Hawaiin bread, and fruit salad, and I'm rambling on about today's happy so I'm gonna close now.

0 comments: