CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

"Mom there's a raccoon in the palm tree"!

Lynn: "What did he say?"
Mom: " Yeah, I seen him yesterday. At first I left the door open so he could come inside. Then I thought raccoons are smart. I don't want to deal with him getting in the fridge, in the middle of the night, and making a mess. So I just left some food and water out on the porch. He's just a little one."

This is not an unusual phone conversation with my mom. I remember growing up there. Being late for class because my brother and I picked up an injured baby hawk on the way. Rachel, my mom's best friend, and the baby opossums she was raising in her living room. A few dogs, a couple of birds, some fish, three pet chickens, and my mom's herd of Siamese cats.

Then it dawns on me. Up to this point my ultimate dream life would consist of going to school forever. What about animals? A wild life refuge? We want to be away from hordes of people don't we? And I've taken to naming the random creatures that frequent my front lawn. (We aren't allowed to have pets here) There is a lot more to my epiphany, but it would be pates long were I to try and writ it all here. Suffice it to say, who knew something my brother said in passing could possibly steer me in a new direction.

0 comments: